100A E. Alton Gloor Bvld.
Brownsville, Texas 78526
Diabetes is a life-long health challenge requiring you and your family to take responsibility for maintaining your good health. So whether diabetes affects an adult, child or pregnant woman, the Diabetes Management Center is here to help patients effectively meet the challenges of diabetes.
The Team Approach
We operate with a team approach and believe this concept provides the best, most long-lasting results for our patients. Our specially-trained staff works with the patient, family and physician to personalize each plan.
Our services include:
- Inpatient: Essential Diabetes Management Survival Skills Training
- Outpatient: Comprehensive Self-Management Programs
- Diabetes and Pregnancy: includes pre-conceptual counseling for type 1 and type 2 diabetes, pregnancy counseling for overt type 1 and type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes counseling, and post partum counseling/diabetes prevention
- Outpatient Nutrition Counseling for Non-diabetes Conditions
- Diabetes Community Lecture series offered in March, June and September
- Psychosocial Support
- Medical Nutrition Therapy
Could You Have Diabetes?
Approximately 500,000 new cases of diabetes are diagnosed every year. More than 16 million Americans are believed to have the disease, but half of those do not know. Symptoms vary or may not even be apparent. A simple blood screening is the first step. Common symptoms of diabetes include:
- Extreme thirst
- Frequent urination
- Intense hunger
- Blurred vision
- Unexplained weight loss or weight gain
- Weakness and fatigue
- Itchy skin
- Nausea and vomiting
- Skin infections
- Numbness or tingling in fingers or toes
- Sores slow to heal (especially on the feet)