Serving Size 2 pupusas
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 33 mg
Sodium 223 mg
Potassium 272 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Protein 14 g
Ingredients and Preparation
Chicken breast, ground 1 pound
Vegetable oil 1 tablespoon
Lowfat mozzarella cheese, grated ½ pound
Small onion, finely diced ½
Garlic clove, minced 1
Medium green pepper, seeded, minced 1
Small tomato, finely chopped 1
Salt ½ teaspoon
Instant corn flour (masa harina) 5 cups
Water 6 cups
- In nonstick skillet, sauté chicken in oil over low heat until it turns white. Stir chicken constantly to keep it from sticking.
- Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomato. Cook chicken mixture through. Remove skillet from stove and let mixture cool in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, place flour and salt in large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to make stiff, tortilla-like dough.
- When chicken mixture has cooled, mix in cheese.
- Divide dough into 24 portions. With your hands, roll dough into balls and flatten each into 1/2-inch thick circle. Put spoonful of chicken mixture in middle of each circle of dough and bring edges to center. Flatten ball of dough again until it is 1/2-inch thick.
- In very hot iron skillet, cook pupusas on each side until golden brown. Serve hot.