Serving Size 2 pupusas
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Sodium 211 mg
Calcium 149 mg
Iron 2 mg
Ingredients and Preparation
Ground chicken breast 1 pound
Vegetable oil 1 tablespoon
Low-fat mozzarella cheese, grated ½ pound
Small onion, finely diced ½
Garlic, minced 1 clove
Medium green pepper, seeded and minced 1
Small tomato, finely chopped 1
Salt ½ teaspoon
Instant corn flour (masa harina) 5 cups
Water 6 cups
Tip: Ground chicken and low-fat cheese help reduce fat and calories.
- In a nonstick skillet over low heat, sauté chicken in oil until chicken turns white. Constantly stir the chicken to keep it from sticking.
- Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomato. Cook until chicken mixture is cooked through. Remove skillet from stove and let mixture cool in the refrigerator.
- While the chicken mixture is cooling, place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to make a stiff tortilla-like dough.
- When the chicken mixture has cooled, mix in the cheese.
- Divide the dough into 24 portions. With your hands, roll the dough into balls and flatten each ball into a ½-inch thick circle. Put a spoonful of the chicken mixture in the middle of each circle of dough and bring the edges to the center. Flatten the ball of dough again until it is ½-inch thick.
- In a very hot, iron skillet, cook the pupusas on each side until golden brown.
- Serve hot with Curtido salvadoreño