Avoid Exposure to Cancer-Causing Substances
Avoiding exposure to cancer-causing substances will decrease your risk of developing lung cancer. Suggestions include:
- Don’t smoke . If you smoke, quit . Your risk of lung cancer decreases markedly and by 15 years is equal to that of non-smokers.
- Avoid places where people are smoking.
- Test your home for radon gases and asbestos. If these substances are in your home, have them removed.
- Use protective gear if you must work around asbestos or other occupational hazards.
- Reviewer: Igor Puzanov, MD
- Review Date: 09/2012 -
- Update Date: 00/92/2012 -