Spiritual services are an important part of healing and many people find comfort in their faith during times of illness or personal health crises. Pastoral care is just one way we treat you like family at Valley Regional Medical Center in Brownsville, TX.
Chaplain Sister Esther runs our hospital chapel and pastoral services, and she coordinates pastoral outreach across the community. We have a volunteer program of lay-people and ordained clergy that respond off hours to provide 24/7 pastoral care for our patients.
Our hospital pastoral care is non-denominational and serves everyone’s spiritual needs. We work with local churches in the event a patient would like their own clergy member (pastor, priest, etc.) to meet with them. We will reach out to your church to bring in someone to attend to your spiritual needs in the hospital.
Spiritual Care and Guidance
Healthcare is all about meeting people’s needs: physical, emotional, and spiritual. The Pastoral Care Services Department recognizes this and provides the following services to address the emotional and spiritual needs of the patients, the patient’s family and staff.
- Ethical consultation about treatment and end-of-life issues
- Crisis intervention support
- Networking with local churches and spiritual care providers
- Prayer, rituals and sacraments
- Spiritual assessment as part of a treatment team
- Support for staff on personal and professional issues
- Pastoral care education and training with the ministry volunteer program
- Training and awareness initiatives for all Valley Regional staff on the important of Pastoral Care and providing “the medicine of compassion" to patients and families
- Weekly bereavement/grief support group sessions, in English and Spanish, at St. Luke’s School library
Visit Our Chapel
Our hospital chapel is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for the spiritual needs of patients, families, staff and volunteers. The chapel is located at the main entrance of the hospital.
A non-denominational Prayer Service is held every Saturday at 3 p.m. in our Chapel.
Special Holiday services are also held and the Chapel is available for prayer service at the request of families or clergy (needs to be scheduled).