Brownsville, Texas (September 5, 2017) – Valley Regional Medical Center announced today it has received the Healthgrades 2017 Labor and Delivery Excellence Award™. According to Healthgrades, the leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals, this distinction places Valley Regional Medical Center within the top 10 percent of all hospitals evaluated for the exceptional care of mothers during labor and delivery.
“Being recognized with this distinction is an honor and a reflection of our commitment to quality and compassionate care. We strive to provide the treatment and attention moms need, the quality care they deserve and the doctors and nurses who are truly committed to them, their health and the health of their baby,” said Art Garza, chief executive officer for Valley Regional Medical Center.
To help consumers evaluate and compare hospital performance in labor and delivery, Healthgrades analyzed patient outcome data for virtually every hospital in the 17 states that provide all-payer state data for years 2013 through 2015. Healthgrades found that the variation in hospital performance makes a significant difference in terms of clinical outcomes:
- From 2013 through 2015, if all hospitals in the 17 states included in this analysis, as a group, performed similarly to hospitals receiving the Labor and Delivery Excellence Award, on average, 128,302 in-hospital complications could potentially have been avoided.*
- From 2013 through 2015, patients treated in hospitals receiving the Labor and Delivery Excellence Award had, on average, a 53.8 percent lower risk of experiencing a complication while in the hospital than if they were treated in hospitals that did not receive the Labor and Delivery Excellence Award.*
“One of the first and most important decisions a parent can make for their new baby is selecting a high-quality hospital for their delivery,” said Brad Bowman, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, Healthgrades. “Consumers can take advantage of the plethora of information available about quality outcomes when researching and then ultimately selecting a hospital for their loved ones.”
“The maternity staff at Valley Regional Medical Center is experienced at all levels of labor and delivery, including antepartum and high-risk pregnancy. In addition, a dedicated team of neonatal doctors and nurses are available to care for our tiniest of patients in the Level III NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). Moms, dads, grandparents, and other family members can feel safe and trust our teams to take care of them during this important time in their lives,” said Karen Rhodes, Director of Women’s Services at Valley Regional Medical Center.
Labor and delivery services and features include:
- 24-hour availability of epidural placement and high pain management standards
- Neonatologist, NICU and respiratory therapist attend all C-sections and all high-risk deliveries
- Comprehensive breast-feeding support from lactation specialists to help moms and their babies experience the benefits of breastfeeding
- On-floor security staff, in addition to state-of-the-art security technology
- Sleep chair at every bedside
- Human milk depot in partnership with Austin Milk Bank (first in Valley)
- Knowledgeable, caring and compassionate care team for both mom and baby
- Scheduled tours and prenatal and breastfeeding classes are available
For more information on Valley Regional Medical Center’s Labor and Delivery program, please contact Mariana Tumlinson, Director of Community and Public Relations.
Learn more about how hospitals partner with Healthgrades.
About Valley Regional Medical Center
Valley Regional Medical Center is conveniently located at the corner of Expressway 77 and Alton Gloor Boulevard in Brownsville. With physicians representing over 25 specialties, Valley Regional Medical Center is a leader in a vast array of high quality programs, including surgical robotics program, advanced diagnostic imaging, interventional cardiac catheterization, open heart surgery, bariatric surgery, laparoscopic and endoscopic surgeries, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, women’s services, pediatric services and neonatal intensive care. Valley Regional Medical is a nationally accredited Advanced Primary Stroke Center and our Emergency Department is designated as an Advanced Level III Trauma Center treating a wide range of emergent needs 24 hours a day. For more information on Valley Regional Medical Center’s programs and services, visit our website at www.valleyregionalmedicalcenter.com.
About HCA Healthcare Gulf Coast
HCA Healthcare Gulf Coast Division is a comprehensive network of hospitals, outpatient surgery centers, emergency centers and diagnostic imaging facilities in greater Houston, Corpus Christi and South Texas. Facilities in the Gulf Coast Division include: 18 hospitals, nine ambulatory care centers, 10 off-campus emergency centers, and a regional transfer center that provides one phone call access and support for patient transfers into and out of the HCA Gulf Coast Division Affiliated Hospitals as well as access to ground and air transportation within a 150- mile radius. For more information, visit www.HCAGulfCoast.com.
* Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of all-payer data for years 2013 through 2015 and represent three-year estimates for patients in 17 states for which all-payer data was made available.