Facts About Obesity
Fact 1: Almost 10 percent of adult men and women are severely obese (100-plus pounds overweight). Major weight loss for these people is important for good health.
Fact 2: For severely obese people, modest weight loss – five to 10 percent – often does not help enough with disease management. Surgical weight loss can dramatically improve and control diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and joint pain.
Fact 3: Bariatric surgery helps limit food intake and absorption, and allows for the maintenance of long term health weight loss goals.
Fact 4: From the moment you make a commitment to proceed with this life-changing surgery, our expert staff will assist you with every step of the process. We will guide you through fulfilling initial insurance and medical requirements, and we’ll continue to provide hands-on, compassionate care through surgery, as well as long-term follow-up treatment.
Am I a candidate?
Weight loss surgery is an option for individuals who:
- Are you 100 lbs. or more over ideal body weight or
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher or
- Have a BMI of 35 to 39.9 with a diagnosed weight-related health problem, such as diabetes, high blood pressure or obstructive sleep apnea
- And are at least 18 years old
- Ability to understand the risks of surgery and changes that will need to be made afterward
- No alcohol abuse or drug use
Please contact our Bariatric Program Coordinator at (956) 551-7286 for more information.