Diabetes is one of the main health issues in south Texas, affecting almost 76,000 in the Rio Grande Valley, and 3 in 5 of those people will need hospital care or emergency services. The Diabetes Management Center at the Valley Regional Medical Center offers support for juvenile diabetes, adult onset diabetes and gestational diabetes in the form of inpatient care and our outpatient services. Our Diabetes Education Program services are completely free to all patients.
Diabetes Education & Self-Management
Diabetes affects 1 in 11 people and it is estimated that 1 in 4 are undiagnosed and don’t even know they have diabetes. Valley Regional Medical Center can help you with your diabetes treatment and diabetes self-management. Our diabetes management includes inpatient educational services for both diabetes and pre-diabetics through our knowledgeable nursing staff.
Are you wondering if you have diabetes? Diabetic symptoms vary or may not even be apparent. Here are a few of the top symptoms experienced by people with diabetes:
- Extreme thirst
- Frequent urination
- Intense hunger
- Blurred vision
- Unexplained weight loss or weight gain
- Weakness and fatigue
- Itchy skin
- Nausea and vomiting
- Skin infections
- Numbness or tingling in fingers or toes
- Wounds, especially on the feet, are slow to heal
Visit your doctor for a simple blood screening as the first step towards diabetes self-management. If you don’t have a doctor, stop by our diabetes clinic for a free screening.
Free Diabetes Management Clinic
Valley Regional Medical Center is here to help you take control of your diabetes. Our Diabetes Management Center is accredited through the A.A.D.E. (American Association of Diabetes Educators). The diabetes program is led by a Program Coordinator, a Nutritionist and a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)/Nurse Practitioner (NP).
Our staff can help you:
- Make sense of all the numbers
- Find time for activity and exercise
- Plan individualized meals
- Manage blood glucose levels
- Understand your medication
- Identify a plan to help you reach your goals
- Learn about insulin preparation and administration
- Learn to use a glucometer correctly
Receive the following at your FREE appointments:
- FREE Meal Planning
- FREE Hemoglobin A1C test
- FREE Glucose Screenings
- FREE Foot Screenings
- FREE Blood Pressure Check
- FREE one-on-one counseling with a nutritionist and/or nurse practitioner
Valley Regional Diabetes Management Center Hours of Operation:
- Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Extended hours available upon request.
The Diabetes Management Center is open to the community and is FREE of charge. Call 956-350-7338 to schedule your appointment.
Find a Doctor
Looking for a doctor to help manage your diabetes treatment? Search our doctors and schedule your appointment online: Search & Schedule.